Sunday, May 26, 2013

The Sunday Geekery: Yep, I'm still mad after all these years.

We happened into a Game Stop earlier this week. While discussing the upcoming Xbox One with the fella that worked there the topic of publishers and old games came up. It wasn't long until we circled around to the subject of Dragon Warrior and I realized I'm still mad at my brother 20+ years later. We played the single player game together taking turns killing things and grinding experience. When we made it to the end of the game, we had quite different approaches. I wanted to grind some more experience, my brother wanted to just fly in there in kill the boss. He took it upon himself to do so, when I wasn't even home! That's right. He didnt even have the decency to be a jerk *and* let me see the end. I'm positive I've done my fair share of unforgivables, but this one, this one stands at the top!


Ok Ok, maybe I'm being too hard on him. The game did at least create a love of all things Dragon Warrior, aka Dragon Quest.  My three favorites are Dragon Warrior (NES), Dragon Quest V (DS), and Dragon Quest VIII (PS2).


IMHO, These three are the best in series. The first one is obviously one of the defining jRPG games and the others follow suit and stayed true to the style. Would you like confession, resurrections, benediction or divination today, sir? While I'm giving love to Dragon Warrior, here's some pretty great fan art.

Benjibot completed a set of all 40 monsters from Dragon Warrior in cross stitch. See them all on the flickr site.


From Etsy seller, Crystalcat1989, a super cute miniature felted blue slime.


Sephernoose from Sprite Stitch Forums creates pretty fantastic wood sprites by gluing together painted wood cubes. Check out the link for Chrono Trigger and FF sprites too.


I'm having such a busy and wonderful holiday weekend. I hope you all are too! And, Bunk, I love your dragon killing self!

8 comments:

  1. And didn't you know all along it would end up that way?? hahahaha no holding back. you two are without question my favorite two dragon slayers in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes yes, you're right. I should have known indeed. We've had different approaches from the beginning so it seems. :) Love you too!

      Delete
  2. LOL I've never been into dragon quest, but Derrick (you know, that guy that's going to be my husband XD) is.
    I am still mad at my mother because 14 years ago I left for school with one more level to go in Sonic (the OG, as in original gangsta) so I left the system on paused of course and turned the TV off. My mom was a stay at home mom until high school... I guess she got bored of laundry, etc. because she beat the last level, while I was at school. MY MOM BEAT THE FINAL BOSS! I'd been working on that game for 3 days, and of course on genesis there was no save option, so that was a really big deal! She still teases me about it, and it's still the only thing I've ever been mad at her for. So you're not the only one who holds a grudge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahaha, MaaMMMoooomm!! The only time I remember my parents attempting to play games was Super Mario Brothers one New Year's Eve (I think it was new years..). Roughly 1000 dead Marios later, my mom hit world 1-3. She was quite impressed with herself and I'm pretty sure still is. I seem to remember her helping me out with Moon Patrol at Chuck-E-Cheese one time, but that could have been some stranger taking pity on me and my wasted tokens. :)

      Delete
  3. So much fun! I've never played many "computer" games. I tried Halo with my husband once. You could always find me: I was the guy with the gun in the air, turning around in circles! I never had brothers, but I had a sister who cheated. It was fun to read about your adventures with Dragon Warrior.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wanna know what's really funny? I've been playing one game or another most of my life and I'm so terrible at the shooters that I would be the guy right next to you shooting birds right out of the air (if I was lucky!). I'm pretty sure the last shooter I was even mildly good at was 1984's Duck Hunt. Thanks so much for stopping by, I'm always glad to see you!

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed your post! I've only got the vaguest idea about gaming but I'm glad you're having fun!

    ReplyDelete