I really just didnt want to drum up another quilting project with so many in the hopper, but I kept finding myself thinking about the patterns. Then - a light bulb went off! There are three main blocks here and I just so happen to need three place mats for my triangle shaped table. Serendipity no?
I knew my place mats needed to be finished about 13"x19". Since these are square blocks, it doesnt easily convert to place mats. I fired up photoshop and did a little copy/paste to get an idea of what it would look like if I extended the squares into rectangles to get the finished size. They looked pretty good - so I ordered the pattern and got started!
After I received the patterns, I thought the trees looked like they might be the easiest to start with. Besides, I needed three panels and it's always good for me to get the repeaters done first. I'll tell you - I'm pretty impressed with myself considering I've never paper pieced anything!
All in all, I dont think paper piecing is that hard. It looks scary when you see the pattern with lines everywhere. Like anything though - if you take it one line at a time, it comes together! I did make the same mistakes several times:
- Not using a big enough piece of fabric OR using a good size and not turning it at the right angle to cover the whole piece
- Putting the first piece on the WRONG side of the pattern, which means it's backwards!
- Matching up the pieces to get all the corners in the right places
- Remembering that I need to include a seam allowance OUTSIDE of the printed pattern.
I turned it over to see what part of the pattern they were touching on the back. If it wasnt the corners, I re-adjusted it try to make them match and put the pins back in until it looked like this on the backside -
Next, I used a really long basting stitch along the pattern line
That was really a lifesaver. It's super easy to remove the long stitches if it isnt lined up quite right and then try again. Pulling out those short stitch was NO FUN for sure!
Another thing that I found made a night and day difference for me was to layout the pieces before I even sewed the first stitch. The pieces make much more sense to me when I've seen them put together.
I bet those of you that are experienced with paper piecing have lots of really good advice for me right? While my little tricks seem to be working pretty well for me, I bet there's a ton of others one out there! Feel free to leave them in the comments!
Oh!!!!
Why, it's Little Red Riding Hood
Hey there Little Red Riding Hood
You sure are looking good
You're everything a big bad wolf could want
Listen to me
Little Red Riding Hood
I don't think little big girls should
Go walking in these spooky old woods alone.
There - now you can sing it as many times as I have working on this project! :D
Linking in with Freshy Pieced WIP Wednesday.
Linking in with Really Random Thursday.



.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)

I love these blocks. The trees are looking great.
ReplyDeleteThanks Michelle! I just finished up the wolf tonight and it is by FAR my favorite. He's very cute. :)
Deletehey! thanks for stopping by my blog! :) ..I'm glad you left your link because you have really cute stuff! love the egg! and your piecing .. :) ..Yes, I will bookmark and be back
ReplyDeleteMandy
It's such a great community right! I'm always finding people that inspire me and your stuff is pretty darn great too. :)Glad to meet you!
DeleteAwesome trees! No words of paper piecing wisdom here, i've only tried it once and you're right about it being easier than it looks. That being said, i think i may start basting first, you know... just in case ;)
ReplyDeleteThe basting is really a life saver! In the most recent square, well, rectangle, I finished I was careful to use the long stitch anytime I was unsure of my placement. Turns out - all four times, I was right to be unsure! Maybe one day I'll be really good with it and can just go, but for now, long stitches are IN! :)
DeleteThese blocks are gorgeous. My advice with paper piecing is to SLOW DOWN. When I become too much of an automaton I don't pay attention to fabric placement. I usually photocopy the pattern so that I can reuse it. I always use proper paper piecing paper which is more transparent and then I hold it up to the light to see if it is covering the area. As for mistakes, I have made them all. And trim the 1/4 inch section before you iron - if you don't then you cut off the nicely sewing segment you just added and you have a 1/4 inch section...
ReplyDeleteWow! Thanks Nancy. You're right - when I hurry is often when I make that same mistake over and and over. Thanks so much for the tips, I'll be sure to use them!
DeleteI wish I had advice, I only did paper piecing once and totally messed everything up then somehow it looked good on the quilt!?!?! I admire your sense of adventure for taking it on!!! I'd like to try again, but it's just so much work!
ReplyDeleteIt's funny how that happens isnt it? Seems like when I'm hyper focused on a block it just looks all wrong. When I put it context with an entire quilt, the "wrong" seems to melt away a bit and is a little less wrong. :)
DeleteI love the wolf peeking out from behind the tree!! I've had the exact same issues while paper piecing...it has all been trial and error for me. And then I make the same mistake AGAIN and wonder when I will ever understand paper piecing..but then I finish the block and it is so cool! Your trees look great, I love that you'r pairing a block of trees with the others.
ReplyDeletelol! You're so right! I was working on the wolf last night and came to a weird angle. I thought about it long and hard and "tested" the layout of the new piece several times. I sewed it on, knowing I was rocking it, turned the piece over and it was NOWHERE NEAR the edges. I may have said a little cuss word before I pulled that seam out! Thanks so much for coming by and leaving such nice encouragement!
Deletevisiting from really random thursday. i used to paper piece heaps but am a speed junkie and now it is machining all the way. I think your trees look fantastic.
ReplyDeleteYou're so kind!! These are machine stitched. Maybe I used the wrong term? Is this actually foundation piecing - I honestly am not sure what the difference is! :) Thanks for coming by!
DeleteThis is an amazing post for we non-paper-piecers! I am inspired to give it a try. Thanks for all the tips! And by the way, LOVE the trees!
ReplyDeleteThank you!! You have quite literally made my day! I stopped by your blog and I really like the quilt you're working on. I'll certainly check back in with you and see how it is coming along!
DeleteThis is such a cute pattern. And a great idea to make placemats with it :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Janine! I so heart the wolf. The more I think about it, the more I think he might be the WHOLE reason I bought it!
Delete