Picture heavy post to commence now...
Here is the one that was just jaw dropping. My favorite by a mile. You can't see it in the picture, but there are crystals wisely placed throughout the piece drawing your attention to some of the more amazing quilting as well as giving it a little bling, which of course, I love. The symmetry is perfect, the borders are perfectly measured and the roses are beautiful.
![]() |
| Remembering Alice, Kathleen Stuart |
I didnt get a picture of this entire quilt, but I will tell you, all of the squares are amazing as this one. The details are amazing and quilting is as good as it gets.
![]() |
| Friends of Baltimore, Nancy Yondo |
This was one of my favorite borders in the show. It was kind of a little surprise. I had paid so much attention to the center of the quilt I didnt even notice the houses around the border at first. As soon as I did, it was such fun to eyeball them all!
![]() |
| Yo Yo Village, Nancy Moore |
I'm so mad at myself for not getting a good picture of this one! It's beautiful. Most the pattern and texture is created with thread rather than fabric. It's quite a unique piece that shows you something new every time you look at it.
![]() |
| Goose Tracks at Night, Beth Wiggs |
I'm not much of a cat person, but I still thought this one was really cute. Check out those tiny little cat paw prints in the border.
![]() |
| Pussy Footin Around, Mary Louise Parks |
![]() |
| Greetings from Fort Bragg, Sana Moulder |
This one caught my eye because I had never seen anything quite like it before. The black "lines" are actually the black background the piece is hanging against. She's used a pillow case finish and put the pieces together with beads between the pieces. Really cool idea and execution.
![]() |
| Feather Fantasy, Jeanette Overmayer |
The quilting on this one... amazing.
![]() |
| Billy's Bluebirds, Ellene Place |
Here's the last one that is all about the amazing quilting - promise. The full quilt looked to be a queen size and every inch of it was quilted this beautifully. See those perfect TINY circles around the leaves?
![]() |
| A Walk in the Woods, Kathleen Stuart |
The last artist, Anne Francis, had a showcase series, with good reason. I understand all of her quilts are done completely by hand. Yep, just scissors, needles, thread and tons of patience! All of the following quilts are hers.
![]() |
| (I found fan art at a quilt show! This made my day!) |
I kind of wish I had pictures of some of the others too. They really are special and so much fun to look at. One of the missing ones that stands out in my mind is the one she had made snow out of french knots - on the whole quilt.
I hope you enjoyed them as much as I did. Tell me, which one is your favorite? What do you find yourself drawn to when you go to these shows?
(I did attempt to locate web presences like galleries or blogs for each of the artists so I could link you, but was unsuccessful for all of them! If you happen to know any of them, drop me a line and I'll add the links!)












There was a Fiber Fiesta here over the weekend, and I managed to go. My favorites were the landscape and thread painted ones. I didn't take any photos though!
ReplyDeleteI love thread painting! I tried it once at John C Campbell. It was really a ton of fun and what took away the fear of fabric stuff in general. After lots and lots of practice, I intend to try again. :)
DeleteI've never been to a show, but hope to change that soon. That is some amazing white-on-white quilting, but whimsical little houses are probably my favourite.
ReplyDeleteAren't they fantastic? They are scrappy too so it was just fun to around the border and discover new fabrics in the houses and trees. Loved this one!
DeleteWow! I am in awe...those quilts are all amazing. I think my favourites are Greetings and Remembering Alice.
ReplyDeleteYou cant pick a bad one in this lot, but those two are really special for sure!
DeleteRemembering Alice looks superbly stitched, but YoYo Village is also my favourite! I love the colours and vibrancy - and I just kept thinking oooh, wouldn't that make a wonderful housewarming gift! Thanks for sharing these Susan, very inspiring :)
ReplyDeleteYou're right it would be an awesome housewarming gift! Everyone in this community is just so darn smart! :)
DeleteI love to go to every show I can! Such great and inspiring work out there. Thanks for sharing the pics.
ReplyDeleteDo you ever enter any?
DeleteThe quilts you picked to show are amazing! It's so fantastic to go to a huge show with those amazing quilters who are close to perfect. I think my favorite was the yo-yo houses. That border is so darned adorable and the colors so bright and happy. I also loved the Fort Bragg one, probably because I have kids who are in the Army and I love vintage things.
ReplyDeleteI'm really kicking myself for not taking a full picture of the Fort Bragg one. It was lovely and really created an emotion.
Deletetest
ReplyDeleteI loved seeing the selection of quilts you showed from the NC Quilt Symposium and also reading you comments. It was a delightful read; they are all beautiful! Thanks.
ReplyDeleteAnn, you made my day! Thanks so much for stopping by and thanks so much for being so kind. :)
DeleteYou did go to the same quilt show how cool!! I don't remember seeing the Feather Fantasy one,but it looks to be amazing! Gosh that was a fun time!!
ReplyDeleteIf your plans change and you can do the shop hop just let me know!
Sure did! Sadly, silly work always gets in the way of fun stuff like that! I am going to the Quilting and Sewing Expo in Raleigh. I plan on taking three of four workshops all three days so I'll be there and would surely say hi if you are too! :)
DeleteI went to the NC quilt symposium once in Charlotte and once in Raleigh, took a workshop at each one that was wonderful. Next year it's in Wilmington so I probably won't attend, as I can't do overnight (too expensive). Loved seeing the pictures of the wholecloth quilt and also the feathered one here, thanks for posting them.
ReplyDeleteThanks for coming by! The bee mentioned going to Wilmington next year so I'll think about it for sure. It was a great experience and I just loved looking at them all.
DeleteYou are one talented lady. Loved visiting your blog.
ReplyDelete