Sunday, May 19, 2013

The Sunday Geekery: Some of my favorite fan art

You've probably noticed I have a healthy respect for all kinds of art. I see art in almost everything that people create from something as simple as a well laid out and organized Microsoft Word document to a fine art piece in the modern museum. While I love it all for its unique story and perspective, my favorite is always fan art. Silly, eclectic, masterful, or crafty representations of pop culture always make me smile and touches the nostalgic button in my heart. As time goes on, I'll show you all kinds of artists I enjoy as regular blog posts and studio tours. Here, in the Geekery though, only funky fan art is allowed!

Here are a few of my favorites -

Jen Yates is one of my favorite bloggers over a Epbot. She has a healthy mix of nerd stuff including Disney geek-outs, maker toys, cosplay, artist features, and con reviews. This woman can do anything with a Dremel and little bit of glue and might be the queen of nerdy DIY house decorations and renovations. You might also know her from cakewrecks, a fun look at when professional cakes go very very wrong.

Her Harry Potter wand holder has always been one of my favorites of her projects. Not so much because I'm a Harry Potter fan, but because it is such a no fear project. It's a perfect example of just going for it and seeing where the project takes you. Sometimes it ends up really banging like hers did here.




There's a blog/forum site out there called Sprite Stitch. Stitchery + Nerdery. Pretty good combo for someone like me! I've seen lots of things I love come through there over the years, but the one I'm paying attention to right now is this Zelda stained glass stitching project by Siva. I really love how the colors pop and seems so rich. I can't wait to see how it finishes up, though I promise to enjoy the journey.

I love the idea of stained glass being mimicked in alternate art forms. Through this project, I discovered Thomas Randby that created the image Siva is embroidering. I'll certainly check back with him and see what develops with his skill. The Maleficent is pretty great!





 
Speaking of Maleficent, my all time favorite Disney villain, check out this piece and related gallery by Shoomlah at deviant art. Putting the Disney Princesses in more historically accurate costuming is genius. I love that she used simple backgrounds and really puts the focus on the character.

Honestly, it almost killed me to choose this one or Maid Marian. I'm still not positive that Maid Marian isnt my actual favorite in this series. I LOVE that Shoomlah made her a fox on four legs. genuis.










I don't have a lot to say about this artist, Matthew Hawkins, because I just haven't spent a lot of time researching him or his other work yet. I loved this the instant I saw it though and it hangs around in my mind when I think of a few of my favorite things.











Awwww yeah. Bugs Bunny in drag with a little kill da wabbit. I love this. Like really really love. Then it just keeps getting better. Check out this deviant art gallery by Tom Whalen. Every page of the gallery is a beautiful, stylistic, set of vector art showing off some of my favorite things. It's all here - Nintendo to Disney in this great style. The only thing that makes me sad is they are limited print runs and I cant buy them anymore. I'm going to have to start paying closer attention, see what comes up next!








So - have you seen any great fan or pop art lately?


Linking with Not Done Growing because nothing makes me happier than geekery!
Ack! Forgot to link back to Really Random Thursday!

4 comments:

  1. Well, I made it to the Snow White exhibit in San Francisco just before it closed. How delightful to see all the steps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooohhhh I bet that WAS awesome. My favorite part of Walt Disney World is for sure the animation studios. Everything from the wall of Oscars to the guy in the corner of the studio drinking his coffee. :)

      Delete
  2. I just came across your blog @ crafters corner and am browsing through. I have done some star wars fan art on my chalkboard wall in my kitchen.

    You can check it out here:
    http://shrunkengiraffe.blogspot.ca/search/label/Star%20Wars

    Looking forward to reading more. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you and Holy Moly that's awesome! I really like the calendar and to do list, what a genius way to display it. I'll surely add you to my bloglovin list to see what else you're up to! :)

      Delete