Here is a quote from Ira Glass about writing that I have seen here and there over the last few years.
Each and every time I read it, in whatever presentation I come across, it speaks to me. He may be talking about storytelling, but like many creative endeavors concepts and ideas cross over. In my web travels this week, I came across this typeset presentation of the quote and it spoke to me even louder. I was lucky enough to find the artist, Nikki Clark, and she sells them on etsy!
I think it is going to be a great thing to have in my face all day and remind me again and again that every minute I put into my creative self will pay back in both greater skill and confidence.
The proof is in the pudding, or in this case, work. Here's a sample of how far my sculpting has come. Both of these heads were practice pieces. The one on the left was my very first attempt at a face ever. You can tell it is a face, but it is a long way from being good. She was indeed the very end of my skill level and as it good as it gets at that time. After spending lots of time with lots of faces, tutorials, videos, and references I became a little better at it, no? The one on the right is about as good as it gets for now, but I know with more time and experience I can fix the things that aren't quite right for her too.
I’ve put a reminder on my calendar to come back and check this post in one year’s time. I wonder what the quote will say to me then?
The proof is in the pudding, or in this case, work. Here's a sample of how far my sculpting has come. Both of these heads were practice pieces. The one on the left was my very first attempt at a face ever. You can tell it is a face, but it is a long way from being good. She was indeed the very end of my skill level and as it good as it gets at that time. After spending lots of time with lots of faces, tutorials, videos, and references I became a little better at it, no? The one on the right is about as good as it gets for now, but I know with more time and experience I can fix the things that aren't quite right for her too.
I’ve put a reminder on my calendar to come back and check this post in one year’s time. I wonder what the quote will say to me then?
Can you relate to his quote with your creative outlet? What types of things have you seen real improvement in your work with practice?



I've loved this quote for some time too. I have a hard time with the term 'taste' but as a whole, it works! It's posted on a wall of my quilting nook along with a slew of inspirational quotes to keep me going.
ReplyDeleteheh, I dont like "taste" either! In my mind I substitute it for something like "attention to every detail with need for machine like precision" :)
Delete