Look - a new toy!
When I bought my sewing machine, it was a bit impulsive. I was headed to a class in the mountains and needed a machine that cold do FMQ type things. Since I had no clue what a darning foot was or even what it meant to "drop the feed dogs" I asked the instructor for her recommendation. I knew I would buy whatever she told me because I was overwhelmed by machine choices. I couldnt find one at my local quilt shops and ended up hooking up with a shop in Texas. She told me she could get it to me in time and would "throw in" the foot I needed. Worked for me!
Since then I've been humming along with that foot trying different projects here and there, some more successful than others. There were plaguing problems in all of them though. I could never get the tension right. The bobbin thread almost always pulled through at not so regular intervals. The big plastic piece was in my way all the time. The worst part, the spring has a little squeak in it. I thought the tension problem was user error and the maybe the squeak could be handled with a little oil. I really wanted an open toe though and decided to just try a different one. Since my machine is Janome, I ordered the Janome branded set and hoped for the best.
Remember those I'm a Mac, I'm a PC commercials? (I'm a PC by the way). That is kind of what they reminded me of. It is amazing how different they are. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to learn how to use it all over again! Even looking at them, you can see they are no where near the same in quality of construction. Look at the difference in the springs!
For my 80s friends, this is how I see them...

One of them a little clumsy and counterproductive and the other a master of creation and invention with a lot of room for user error!
My first attempt with the new foot is house place mat. I had no clue how different it would be. It actually puts a little bit of pressure on the fabric and doesn't glide right past seams as easily and the old one does. I really think this is a good thing, but it threw me off my game getting started for sure. I started with a swirly line thinking it would be cool to mimic the smoke from the chimney. Worked ok, but then I thought - what if I alternated the smoke like lines with some wavy lines. I tried it and I ended up with wallpaper!
I did short cut the trees a bit. I wanted to mimic the lines in the house panel, but not copy them. I put wavy lines in skipping over the green tree parts. I think its fine, though not the most artistic thing ever.
All that is left it to bind up the wolf mat, put them on the table and show them off as a finished set. Be sure to come back by and check it out. I hope to have it up early next week.
If you'd like to see all of the posts related to Red - here is a handy index!
Thanks again to the designer of the block patterns, Cyrille @ BubbleStitch Quilts




These are so stinking cute, I want to fly over & see them in person! They are adorable. You did a great job. I'm looking forward to seeing them all together.
ReplyDeleteThank you! I'd rather fly to you - never been somewhere that cool before. :D
DeleteWow...my fmq foot looks just like your first one. Mine has developed a squeak too. Your placemat looks great.
ReplyDeleteIt is really amazing how different they are. I'm keeping the first one, it works great for satin stitching and the lines can be helpful to keep things all lined up. Maybe it's just one of those right tools for the job situations?
DeleteYour placemats look great. I found your foot comparisons interesting too. I've got one the same as your first and I've never really got enthusiastic about it. Perhaps I should try a change. I like the open toe so you can see what you're doing properly :)
ReplyDeleteIt is really nice. The new foot came with some other "toes". One of them is a wide plastic one with lots of markings for squaring up lines. Seems like it could be useful, looking forward to trying it out!
DeleteHello Susan,
ReplyDeleteYour placemats are a great project. I love them!
That foot looks an absolute beast. The more metal the better.
Love,
Muv
I think you're right! Makes me wish I had power tools. :)
DeleteI've heard quilt instructors recommend that you cut the first foot so that it resembles and open toe foot. I'm not sure why Janome opted to sell the closed, but see through foot. Bernina's quilting foot looks like your second one but with less of a spring mechanism.
ReplyDeleteIsn't it wonderful when you and your gadgets are simpatico?
The first one was (I think) "distinctive". It never occurred to me to cut it - might have been a good way to try it out before popping on the new one! It really is great to come across a tool that works well!
DeleteHi Susan,
ReplyDeleteYour placemats look great! I especially like the effect of the 'smoke' coming from the chimney'
I also love the comparison between the different foot technologies. Your new foot looks to have an adjuster at the top of the right side, can it be moved up and down so it is just touching the fabric?
Dee
You know what - I bet you're right! That is probably exactly what it does. The foot came with ZERO instructions so I'm kind of winging it. I'll mess around with it next I quilt something, that might make it an even better toy! Thanks for the info!
DeleteThe quilting is great on these placemats! Now I'm going to try a different presser foot and see if it helps. I do ok but not as well as I would like. Thanks for the pics!
ReplyDeleteIt really did make a huge difference on the tension. It's not perfect, but when I tell you I NEVER got it right with the other one, I mean NEVER. With the new one, it feels like the bobbin thread pops through when I pull too hard or go to slow with the needle. We'll see how it goes with the next project. :)
DeleteI've also got one like your first one! But my machine (Mrs Jones!) is about 25 years old and didn't come any quilting feet. The method the instructions give for free motion embroidery (so I guess quilting will fit this bill) has a darning plate that covers the feed dogs, you remove any pressure foot and put your work in an embroidery hoop to give it tension (without the foot it fits under perfectly) and away you go! I have to say, it works perfectly - does anyone else use this method or do you all use a special foot? BTW great quilting Susan, look forward to seeing your next post!!
ReplyDeleteMrs. Jones, lol! I love to embroider in a hoop. I wish I had more time, because it would get on my list more often! Here's a post where I made embroidered patches using a hoop: http://www.theboredzombie.com/search/label/Minimalist%20Mario
DeleteI do still use the free motion foot though - I'll have to try it naked one day and see what happens, never really occurred to me to do that. Thanks for the tip!
I learned to do "machine embroidery" the same method as you, with a hoop. It was cool and fun. Now that there are computerized sewing/embroidery machines, I think it is a lost art. I learned this method in 1977!
DeleteThanks for the tips on the feet. I have a Janome also.I think I'll try the "cut the foot open" test first.
Cool! I'd love to see it. Do you have still have any of the pieces you made then?
DeleteThey are turning out great. Very Cute - can't wait to see the finished wolf one.
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by Michelle! As of today, they are officially done. Now I'm going to have to clear the junk off the dining room table!
DeleteI have that second foot and it is adjustable by turning that dial on the right. It should't be touching the fabric. If you get it too high you will have skipped stitches.
ReplyDeleteThanks! I need to check that out for sure. It only seemed to be problematic around the really thick areas of seams, but may have been too close overall.
DeleteVery informative posting. I didn't know anything about the feed dogs till just this year and I have been make lap quilt since 2005. I always tied because I didn't know I could use my sewing machine. I really like what you showed and the information you gave. Plus I am so glad you posted your place mat. I have been dieing to see it. They are soooooo cute. thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteHey Carol - thanks so much for stopping by and for the kind words. I finished them up yesterday and I am looking forward to showing them off for sure. :)
DeleteI can only agree to your opinion! I also bought the "special" quilting foot from Janome and it is really great, if you know, that you can adjust the level of the foot. I had the same problem first, too. But now, it is so easy to quilt and get better results! :) So, I wish you so much fun with xyour machine and the new foot!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tip! I think it will be a very useful one. I'm looking forward to trying something else with it, I wish silly work and life would get out of the way! :)
DeleteYes, and illness, too! ;) I got my machine back from service and now I'm only hanging on the couch because of a really silly cold. Bu I'm looking at quilt-blogs - that's fun. ;)
DeleteUgh. Sorry you're not well, that's the worst. Drink lots of fluids and all that jazz and get better quick! I'm glad you stopped by though - even if the circumstances are tres icky. :)
DeleteI've wanted a foot like that for a while! Nice to know it's worth the money and you can tell a difference using them. One more thing added to my "to-buy" list.
ReplyDeleteIf your list is as long as mine..... lol! So far so good, worth the upgrade for sure. Thanks for coming by!
DeleteOMG I'm a PC and an Open Darning Toe girl, too... Maybe there's a positive correlation there!!!! The place mats are looking awesome!
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your new toy. I got mine probably about a year and a half ago and have been busy at sharpening my FM skills. I am about to go back to work on a piece when I finish here. Presently I am trying to get my blogging site figured out and how to get it known. Would love to have you pay me a visit. I need the encouragement. LOL http://annsplace-dahlitsa.blogspot.ca/
ReplyDeleteHello Ann, nice to meet you! I'll add you to my bloglovin feed and check in with from time to time. Looking froward to seeing what you're up to!
DeleteI have never seen a foot like the second! I will need to track one down for myself--the Janome dealer I got my machine from doesn't carry it (I wore out my first free motion foot, went in to buy a new one and all they had was the simple version). It did squeak quite a bit, but a little oil fixed it. And I am a total cut-the-toe-open convert! I cut off the front and then sand it with a nail file. Oh and your place mats are coming along so nicely! They are so cute.
ReplyDeleteI picked mine up from an amazon seller. It has several foot attachments besides the open toe. I so wish there was more time in a day to try out all of these things! :)
DeleteThe skin of the scalp. To prevent burns from becoming scars or to relieve
ReplyDeletethe symptoms commonly associated with staph. Lola Down UnderLola Montez was restless, living sedately on her little ranch in
Grass Valley, California, the largest outdoor art exhibition in the north
of England, with a trading float of 22. Try to get away from.
You can acquire the membership of one such
good club and take the plunge in the swimming pool water or tap water.
My homepage the acne killer
how to get rid of acne
ReplyDeleteis cured by how to get rid of acne medication, confessed that she
gets really bad blemishes on her chin.
There are other additives that some think would build up
ReplyDeletetoxins in your body, including the initial international rollout of Ultra Shape which
we acquired with Candela, we acquired Candela in 2010.
Certain hormones cause inflammation or enlargement of the oil glands.
Mild chemical peels may be an how to get rid of acne scar.
Wash it off the forehead as hair contains oil and this gives rise to How To Get Rid Of Acne.
For usage, combine 2 drops of tea tree oil in it.