Monday, April 1, 2013

Bat Skeleton, Complete! (u4)

And it is done!


I started the embroidery on the wings. I used a plain on backstitch for the back wing to create a little depth. I played with thread sizes and chain stitch width. I used a swirly circle stitch for the large bones joints and the thicker chain stitch on the front wing.






I did the words next with a plain old reverse chain stitch.


I fought with myself a ton over this one. I just couldn't decide what thickness I wanted them to be. I stuck it out with the reverse and I think they look OK.




Next up - the body! I really played this one by ear. I used the reference photo and put in the bones in the back first so the thread for the bones in the front would actually be on the front.





I tried to use heavier lines for the bigger bones and smaller lines for the smaller bones or bones that were further back. I added a small clear crystal and he was really cool.



Sadly, I made a pretty big error on this one. I was going to use silk ribbon to create the filigree in the corners before I mounted the fabric. The idea was great in my head, but it wasn't long into the project that I realized I didnt want the filigree at all. It became even worse when I realized yet another error - I drew the pattern to a perfect 8x10. I did not account for the fabric stretching while I worked. On top of not wanting them, the were turning down the sides! I couldnt leave the drawn lines on there, so I put them in with thread and was careful not to fully stretch the fabric over the canvas. This one was for a long overdue Christmas present, so I went ahead and sent him out. I like him enough that I will probably make myself one - minus the filigree.



Oh how I love to finish a project! Makes me feel like I've done something. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment