Having attended Dragon*con (a 30K+ attended sci-fi con), I've learned a few things about how to both survive and enjoy these events. The most important thing is to have a well stocked bag that is both light and functional. Want to show off your custom quilted shoulder bag? Save it for another day unless your custom quilted bag happens to be a backpack with two padded shoulder straps. Here's a check list of the things you don't want to forget!
- A notebook. This is my black book of art and ideas that pretty much goes everywhere with me. I love the hard covers that makes it usable anywhere and can be a little table in a pinch. It is on the heavy side though - so something smaller could be a good option.
- Tickets, maps, event info. Do any research you can. If you can find a map of the building, take a look it and figure out what floors things are on as well as the entrances and exits. An idea of the layout will help when you're searching for the room your panel is in.
- Headphones. Often, the social aspects can be exhausting. A pair of head phones (music on or not) can be a really good way to take a little break.
- Personal items. Chapstick, advil, breath mints, bandaids, and nail clippers. Yep. They will come in handy.
- A little something small for downtime. Books are a good choice. Here I have a sandwich bag project (ie, it fits in a sandwich bag!)
- Pen. Oh that crafty pen. It loves to stay behind. I like to bring a pencil too.
- Hard Candies. Never know when that sugar low is coming. Sometimes you find yourself parched or hungry and hard candy can do the trick for a short time.
- Hand Sanitizer
- Camera
- ID and a little bit of cash in small denominations
- Peanut Butter sandwich and granola bar
- Water bottle
I'm certain there will tons of blog-o-tunities throughout the event. I expect to be mostly offline so the info might be a few days coming, but it is coming! Be sure to stay tuned!
I'm quite excited. In addition to the event, my best in the world is coming for the last day and half. Can't wait to see her! If you'll be there - drop me an email, I'd love to meet you too!

Sounds like you are well prepared, ready and rarin' to go. Have fun and take lots of pics!
ReplyDeleteLorna:)
http://sewfreshquilts.blogspot.com
Sounds like fun. Hope you have a great time.
ReplyDeleteYou must be so excited!! Have lots of fun!
ReplyDelete:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation
Great tips! I'm going to my first Fat Quarterly Retreat next month so will surely take these on board. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteHave fun Susan!!
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to seeing what you learn here. Way too social for me! Good packing tips for when I do go to one of these, thanks.
ReplyDeletehave lots of fun. You sound like you have thought of everything.
ReplyDeleteOh how I wish I could join you! Enjoy a little for me too, would you?
ReplyDeleteOooh, lucky you! I Hope you have fun - and that in that sandwich bag project is a little bit of Epp!!! Look forward to your forthcoming posts muchly :)
ReplyDeleteHave fun! Your post is a great checklist for conventions. Thanks.
ReplyDelete