Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Dizzy Dresdens: Getting Started!

Alright! A new project! I so love getting started on new projects. I'm pretty sure the thinking, planning, and buying is my favorite part. I ran across this quilt in the June 2013 edition of American Patchwork and Quilting Magazine and just fell in love, sort of.

Seeing Stripes, Victoria Findlay Wolfe (bumblebeansinc.com)
I hope Victoria understands what I'm about to say is not a dig on her design at all. I quite love what she's done here, enough that I want to make one. I do want to edit a few things though. Not because what she has here is a bad design, but because, well, because I want to.

What I love:
  • The border. Beyond a shadow of a doubt my favorite part and possibly what makes me want to create this. I love the rainbow effect on the white. There are tons of bright fun colors without being in your face rainbow.
  • The chevrons in the dresden. What a cool effect right?
  • The block on the left with the small stripes and light blue petals. It reminds me of a record. This of course means every time I look at it I have the line "put the needle on the record" from the 80s MARRS hit,  Pump up the volume, screaming through my brain.
What I could live without:
  • I don't love how center heavy this is. I feel like my favorite thing, the border, is kind of getting lost and not able to really frame it well.
  • The top orange and bottom blue dresden. I know it is creating the illusion that the blue and orange are pieced on rather than part of the fabric design, but I still don't really love them. They seem a little more segmented and don't flow as well as the record block.

Before taking another step, I looked to see if I could figure out where the fabric came from. It sure would be nice if quilt magazines named their fabric or at least the designer. Might make it easier to find! As it turns out, I hit the designer, Michael Miller, pretty quickly and the fabrics were easy to spot in the Striped collection.

OK - so. I have access to the fabrics and have an idea of what I'd like my version to look like. Time to fire up Photoshop and do a little, very loose, mock-up of what the changes might look like.




First, I made all the record blocks (Dance! Dance!). I put in two cool and two warm complimentary solids. I moved the chevrons to the corners and toyed with the idea of removing the points on the outside corners of each of the green dresden blocks and have since changed my mind. I also looked at adding a rainbow stripe border between the large section of green dresden blocks and the white, but ultimately decided I better not mess with any measurements when using triangles (yet).

It isn't as bold as hers for sure, but I think I like it just the same. The fabrics are here and now there's nothing to it but to do it!

If you're interested in the pattern, a smaller downloadable version is on allpeoplequilt. If you can't find the June 2013 American Patchwork and Quilting magazine, message me (google+, facebook, or susandowenby@gmail.com) and we'll figure it out.

So what do you think? Love them both right?


Want to see all the posts related to this project? Here's a handy index!


Linking in with WIP Wednesday @Freshly Pieced.

19 comments:

  1. I do love them both. It's hard to decide which I love better. I like the boarder, but I'm not totally drooling over it so the fact that it's center heavy doesn't bother me. But I must say I LOVE your little flowers in the corners. I would just try to center up the circles of the flower with the corners of the quilt, I just like things to be even. lol! Good luck with it, I can't wait to watch your progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good advice, thank you! I'm not quite sure how the corners are going to work out. I figure I'll make the whole half dresden, applique it where it should lie, then trim it using the white fabric as the guide. We'll see what shakes out, I'm excited indeed!

      Delete
  2. I love dresdens! I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! As usual, I have never done anything like this. Sure I will break a few things and learn something too. :)

      Delete
    2. ah! I see we are two of a kind...lol
      I like your version of this quilt...can't wait to see it come to life ;)

      Delete
  3. This looks so cool! Can't wait to see it materialize!

    -Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope you'll come back and take a look! Nice job on the cabinet overhaul, it looks fantastic! Added you to my feeds to see what you're up to!

      Delete
  4. Love your mock up!, can't wait to see it come together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The stripes are bold and beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the new pattern, I do like the strippie look in the middle there with the solids alternating for all of those blocks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isnt it cool how the striped kind of look like circles even though there's nothing round about them? Very neat trick, I'm glad I came across it.

      Delete
  7. It always amazes me the effects you can get with striped fabric. Either layout is awesome, look forward to seeing what you decide!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty cool right? I've not really used stripes before (too scared they wont stay straight). Figured I'd just go for it and see what happens! :)

      Delete
  8. Love your version, but I think I agree with you and would add the triangles back to make a diamond. I think it'll add a crispness to the design that would echo the dresdens you added in the corners. It's really funny that you're motivated to make a quilt because you love that teeny weeny border, haha!!! It's just the sort of thing I get really excited about! Look forward to seeing how you get on with it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha, yeah, I'm a little broken. I like the whole quilt, but I just really dug the simplicity of the border more than anything. It closes it without being a big giant frame. Should be interesting indeed!

      Delete
  9. Lovelovelove it! Excited to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete