Yeah, its a little bit of a melodramatic title, but it seems like the blog-o-sphere is titling itself in song lyrics. I didn't want to be left out so I titled a post about colors and rainbows with a sad song. Hm. I might have messed up the game. Nah, I'll call it an artistic expression. If I were high art - I could use a phrase like juxtaposition of great sadness with childlike blissfulness. Probably a good thing I'm not high art!
Anyway, I finally started on Dizzy Dresdens by actually cutting some fabric! The magazine the pattern came from had a pull out pattern section so I took it to a copier and made about 20 copies of the template. I'm a little bit lazy and don't like to hand cut things like this so I keep an old rotary blade marked with a sharpie 'P'.
I find it cuts through paper just fine and is more accurate than scissors. I cut so many templates for two reasons; I can layout several at once and when I accidentally cut into one I can just toss it.
I know this is a bit different than traditional methods to cutting around templates, but it works for me and I'm all about works for me. Here's the first set all laid out for fussy cutting.
The next step is to sew across the tops of each of the shapes so it can be folded over into points. By this time, I had also cut some purple shapes out to complete one full dresden.
Since I've not done a dresden before, I laid them out to get an idea of how they were going to come together. Thankfully, the instructions suggested completing quarters then putting the quarters together. It is so obvious now, but I'm positive I would have just started stringing them together and run into all sorts of trouble without that little tip.
A little bit of sewing and a little bit of pressing leads to a whole dresden. Here she is sitting on some of the green fabric that will eventually be the background.
On to the Orange!
Damn, on to the seam ripper!
Stay tuned to see all the Dresdens come together. If you'd like, you can check out all the posts related to this quilt in the handy Dizzy Dresdens Index.
Linking in with WIP Wednesday @Freshly Pieced and Need and Thread Thursday @ My Quilt Infatuation
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
Loving these Dizzy Dresens! They look awesome on that green. Gonna be a great quilt! Loving your new look by the way.
ReplyDeleteWhy thank you my lady! I think this quilt turn out OK indeed. I'm working on the look. I suspect there will be changes for a month or two until I figure myself out. :) Thanks for noticing the change!
DeleteSusan, those are great!! I love that sewn pointed tip and the green is perfect. Well done!
ReplyDeleteThank you!! I'm really pleased with how it coming along myself. :)
DeleteThis is looking great!
ReplyDeleteThanks Janine!
DeleteCool! I'm doing a craftsy paper piecing class and the teacher said cutting paper with rotary cutters doesn't blunt them - haven't tested this myself as yet, but I thought i would mention it :o)
ReplyDeleteLoving your dresdens!
You know, I suspected that is true. I've been using this 'P' blade for a while. I know I cut the borders around at least 100 pictures. It has some wear on it, but I dont think it is anymore than one of fabric cutting blades would be at this point. Thanks for the tip maybe when this one wears I wont set up another paper only. :)
DeleteLooking good Susan!
ReplyDeleteJust love that the stripes are all perfectly aligned, amazing!
They aren't quite perfect. Trust me, I've considered taking them apart about 100 times. I finally talked myself out of it, I dont think the ones that are off will be SO obvious when I'm not hyper focused on them. They are close enough to go on my bed for sure! :) Thanks so much for making my head big with such nice words!
DeleteI love Dresdens but, being new to this, I wasn't sure I was ready to tackle them. I like your method and am filing this post away for future reference! :)
ReplyDeleteAwesome Sarah, I hope it does help! I'm planning a post for same time next week to talk about those pesky points. I learned a few things the hard way getting them centered that I solved in (I'm sure) non-traditional, but seemingly functional ways. Come by and check it out!
Deletei love the rainbow dresdens! i just bought some of that fabric last night. i'm planning to save mine for binding but i love the idea of making stripey dresdens.
ReplyDeleteIt's going to look fantastic as a binding! I'd love to check it out and what else you might be up to, you obviously have good taste (ha!). Where can I find you?
DeleteI think we are sort of in the song mode aren't we;) Another song in my head;)
ReplyDeleteI have been wanting to get another rotary cutter just for cutting paper too. You are not alone:)
Yay! Partner in crime. Always nice to have my weird quirks validated. :D Thanks for coming by!
DeleteWOW Susan this looks fantastic! Keep on keeping on!
ReplyDeleteThanks Charlene!
DeleteI think I've lost you somehow. I was pretty sure I followed you on facebook/bloglovin, but noticed a few days ago I didnt see much. Are you still out there? If so - will you link me again so I can figure out what I did?? :)
really like the solid in between the strips
ReplyDeleteThanks Margaret! It's working out pretty good right? :)
DeleteOh dear. I am completely in love with your Dresden plate!!!! I recently discovered Dresdens, but this is the first one I've seen with just two fabrics rather than four or five, and I'm loving how clean the finished look is. A BIG thank you for fueling my Dresden Fever fire!!
ReplyDeleteI'm stopping by from the WIP Wednesday linky party, this is my WIP post if you wannt drop by my blog: http://thesehandsofmine.blogspot.com/2013/06/happy-wednesday-i-found-out-about-this.html Keep Creating!
I cant take credit for the design. I saw in a quilt magazine. :) Here's what I'm working from: http://www.theboredzombie.com/2013/06/dizzy-dresdens-getting-started.html
DeleteStopped by and checked out your blog. Love the nerd vibe. You might like some of the topics in my geekery posts - check em out, click the "Suedre's Sunday Geekery" box on the right sidebar of this page.
Wow! Sudre, it's AWESOME! I love the title too, the other day I (finally) changed the blade on my rotary cutter and was so eager I was cutting so fast and cut right into my finger... really, really, really deep. LOL ooops! I can't wait to watch your progress on this quilt, you're awesome!
ReplyDeleteNooooo!! OMG. I'm so positive I'm going to do that one day. I saw these crazy safety gloves in a LQS the other day. They have all these rubber nub things and claim you can't accidentally lob off a finger while rotary cutting. It looking like they might even help with ruler grip too. Maybe I should try them before I end up a stat like you! :) I hope it gets better really really fast. No fun. :(
DeleteI used to think the gloves were silly. However in the past week, I've gotten a paper cut, a rotary blade cut, and an aluminum cut. Okay, the aluminum cut was while I washing those 50's tumblers made of...aluminum...and managed to cut myself while cleaning the rim. Which aisle in Joann's are the gloves?
DeleteOhhhhhh I need those gloves, pronto. I've cut myself numerous times with the rotary blade, but this one is BAD... not quite to the bone, but still really bad! I wish there were a LQS near me, closest one is an hour away. We only have Joann's here :(
DeleteUgh Alyx, so sorry about the finger. That's really suck.
DeleteI *think* I've seen them in Joanne's before too. They are with the quilting pins, rulers, and free motion gloves. Pretty sure these are it:
http://equilter.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=72708&sid=93LKiA2SQM333GX-13110077168.d0
I almost lost an eye when I broke a needle with face right up on it tonight. I think I'm going to pick up some safety glasses at the hardware store too!
gorgeous, love the pop of purple here. I love my new Dresden ruler!
ReplyDeleteI am stopping by from the WIP post, hop by if you get a chance! http://domesticdeficitdisorder.blogspot.com/2013/06/wip-wednesday-june-12th-edition.html
That's a good tool for sure! If this quilt doesnt kill me, I might get an actual dresden ruler myself. :)
DeleteLooking great! I've never made Dresdens either, but I think I might have to give them a try sometime.
ReplyDeleteTurns out they are pretty fun and not too scary. I have more to say about those pesky points and the applique part in the next few weeks. Hope to see you and hope it helps push you to give it a whirl. I'm sure yours would be fantastic!
DeleteThat's already absolutely gorgeous. Love those stripes with the solid.
ReplyDeleteThank you! I so wish I could take credit for the idea of mixing them just like this. Can't though - here's a post with the original and designer information.
Deletehttp://www.theboredzombie.com/2013/06/dizzy-dresdens-getting-started.html
Wonderful job!! Loving that stripy fabric print with the purple. I can't wait to see the orange!!
ReplyDeleteIf you happen to be around the R - stop by. Might be able to sneak peek for you! :)
DeleteLove your colourful dresdens!
ReplyDeleteHey Kirsten, good to see you thanks for stopping by!
DeleteAnd why haven't I ever just written on my 'paper blade' before instead of using a post it note or something equally useless when actually using the blade? You're a smart cookie!
ReplyDeleteYou said:"I know this is a bit different than traditional methods to cutting around templates, but it works for me and I'm all about works for me." That's right! So much of the creative process, whether quilting or something else, is about finding what works for yourself! Always makes me nervous when teaching, since what works for me might not work for someone else!
lol Amy, I'm not that smart I just love a sharpie! :) I tell you, its the little things like that I pick up traveling around these blogs and going to bees that really make my day so I'm over the moon it helped you!
DeleteI'd like to teach one day for sure. I think it is one of superpowers at my job now. Maybe one day. I'll surely keep up with you and learn as much as you're willing to impart! :)
That's sooo FAB! Those colours on the green background are going to look amazing :) It's so exciting getting going on a new project isn't it! Love the new header too - a splash of colour always brings a smile.
ReplyDeleteThanks Stephie! Yes, it is fun to get started! This blog is a WIP for sure. Lots of changes coming and going in the near future. I'll eventually figure out what it is I want to do with it, or not. :)
DeleteThose are incredible. All those perfect stripes! This might be the post that gets me inspired to make dresdens - thank you!
ReplyDeleteWOot! That would make my day! The quilt is coming right along, I'm pretty pleased with it so far and looking forward to sharing more. :)
DeleteSo cool!
ReplyDeleteThank you!!
Deletelove, love, love the dresdens! any you make it look so easy! can't wait to see all of them come together!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for linking up at Needle and Thread Thursday!
:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation
by the way, I'm following on Bloglovin.' I don't see a Bloglovin button here, but I have added you to my feed there.
Delete:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation
Yay! So glad to have you. I had thought the little blue and white + symbol was a common bloglovin one, but it seems like maybe not. You're the second person that has mentioned I dont have one. :) I surely put one of the big ones on in the next little bit.
DeleteThanks for the link up! :)
Way cool. It's going to be an awesome quilt. When I started quilting, I bought a "book pattern" for Dresdens that came along with it. I'm glad you said it wasn't scary! Very encouraging. Perhaps there IS a Dresden quilt or wallhanging in my future!
ReplyDeleteOh! I hope so! I'm really digging them. It isnt that bad at all. I have a few more beginner tips from a beginner coming up next week. Maybe it will help fuel the fire! :)
DeleteThis is fantastic! I love the rainbow stripes!
ReplyDeleteHey Stephanie! Thanks for stopping by. I hope you'll come back and see the whole quilt, it is starting to look pretty good!
DeleteChecked out your blog. Cool stuff! I'll add you to my feeds. :)
I really REALLY love that striped fabric!
ReplyDeleteI bet you do! :) It is Michael Miller and I'm pretty sure it is still available. The collection is aptly named "stripes" :D
Delete