You're looking at the FAT version of the Hungry Caterpillar, so I suppose he is really the Full Caterpillar. I'll be honest with you - this was a rush job. Not a lot of time for marking, washing, and perfect stabilization, but still cute none the less. He and the letters are freehand. I made him as a patch with Sulky Water Soluble Stabilizer and tulle. I marked 2.5 inches tall and dropped those letters right in. I hand sewed his little hairs to his top side and added the ribbon with a straight stitch.
I promise, one day, I'll show you exactly how I make these patches. I was in such a rush, I didn't take the greatest pictures along the way or think about which ones I'd need to demo the technique. I'll show you what I have though and one day soon I'll fill in all the words and specifics.
So here we go... a WIP with only pictures!
If you're curious - here's her super cute blanket that goes with it!
Link Ins
Mel's Daisy Patch Crochet and Crafts
WIP Wednesday @Freshly Pieced
Needle and Thread Thursday @ My Quilt Infatuation.
Free Motion Friday @ Free Motion Quilting Project.
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
Cute Caterpillar! He is a fatty! Love it...
ReplyDeleteHe is! I like him too. I tried to copy some of the colors that are in Eric Carle's watercolor version and I think I managed to do so in a few places!
DeleteIt's so cute, Susan! You are very talented; the embroidery looks wonderful.
ReplyDeleteThanks Ann! I honestly think it is one my favorite things to do on a sewing machine. I certainly need to do more and learn some new tricks for it!
DeleteThe letters are a zig zag machine stitch. I picked a really block-y letter style, found the middle and did a really close zig zag with my free motion foot. It basically makes a satin stitch. I switch it to straight stitch at the beginning and end to lock it down.
ReplyDeleteWonderful bag!! The caterpillar turned out great!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Daphne, I like him!
DeleteNow this might sound a bit random, but I absolutely adore his little feet!!!!! Great stuff, hope it went down well at the shower :)
ReplyDeleteSometimes it is the little things that matter! You can't see it well in the pictures, but I love the little hairs across his back. :)
DeleteAWESOME!
ReplyDeletethat is so cool! I have never seen the steps before ...how neat!
ReplyDelete:) I will show it in a million words before long. Promise! :)
Deletethe elementary teacher in me absolutely adores any sewing project that is literature related. This is SO cute!! I am so glad you shared at Needle and Thread Thursday!
ReplyDelete:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation
Thanks Kelly! I do wish I could have copied some of the colors better, but limited to what I had on hand. Still impressed with myself. :)
DeleteThanks for hosting the link up!
So cute, I will adopt the idea. Clever work! Compliments. Love the caterpillar.
ReplyDeleteThank you very much! Come by anytime. :)
DeleteRidiculously cute! I love anything Hungry Caterpillar.
ReplyDeleteI like to think he is recognizable! :) Thanks for being so kind!
Delete