Thursday, January 17, 2013

Q*bert Quilt Research, update 1



The first step is always good research. My memory is terrible and relying on it is just asking for mistakes and something that isn’t going to be quite right. I knew that I wanted to make the quilt look like a screen shot from the video game, but wasn’t sure how I wanted to handle the borders. I started with what I knew and went on the hunt for Q*bert screenshots. 

I watched this video until I found a color set that I liked and had a bit of flow:


I stopped around 3:38. Of the board color sets, I like the blue/gray bottoms the best and found the distribution of yellow/purples to be nice and balanced here. Of course, I should consider that I've never once managed to make it the far when playing Q*bert and might consider something a bit more realistic, like 1-1!

Then I found a spiffy site, incompetech, that will generate all kinds of graph/drawing paper at with your own set size and setup parameters.  Seriously - the site is fun even if you DONT have something specific in mind. I'm sure I will use this again and again for different projects here and there.  


I thought some more about the border and decided on using the bezel of the arcade machine itself. I had trouble finding a good resource image. For now, I've borrowed this one from an arcade cabinet forum site, but will have my eyes open for a better option.
Finally, I poked around the web - surely I wasn't the FIRST person to think a tumbling block quilt looked like a qbert board! I found a few really good examples and have those printed as references as well - check them out!



Evil Mad Scientist Labs
Golden Dog Quilting (scroll down, a lot) this one even uses the bezel idea!

All ready to go - now the hard part, finding the right fabric!!

No comments:

Post a Comment