I used the square graph paper with intersecting lines. I realize this isn't a rhombus and doesn't represent the finished shape of the quilt, but I really wanted to exaggerate the shape to make the "rows" easier to see. For some reason, I used a green highlighter on the blue side and a blue highlighter on the gray side, just to confuse myself about 10 times later!
Once I was happy with the plan, I printed myself a rhombus graph in the size I wanted my three part sqaures to be finished. I used incompetech's triangle graph paper generator to make the three sided rhombus (TSR) would finish around 6 inches wide. (Generator settings - papersize 13x10, triangle side 3.75). Since the widest part of the board is 7 TSRs, the width of board would finish at 42". I added another 12" inches (one TSR wide on each side for the black) making the final width 54" falling within lap quilt range.
FAILURE POINT - I decided on the size, then decided to add the bezel. Once I knew I wanted to do the bezel, the fabric was bought and cut. This quilt will likely finish closer to 70 inches wide which falls into twin/full quilt size. ugh!
Time to find the fabric! I really had a good idea of what I wanted and thought I would be able to avoid going to Joann's. Sadly, it didnt work out and I had to drag myself out there.
<side rant> I hate our local Joann's. They never have enough people working and don't apologize for it. I've waited as long as 1.5 HOURS more than once to have an unapologetic, snarky employee cut it and then send me to the pay line to WAIT ANOTHER 20 - 30 MINUTES to get checked out. I've learned that the only time to go is late evenings during the week or the butt crack of dawn on special hours days. Another gripe - they use these obnoxious coupon schemes and I never know when I'm actually getting the real price. I find it sad they dont fix it and I hope when another big box retailer sees this opportunity and moves in, it really hurts them. I wont be back for sure! </end side rant>
I was looking for something that was NOT floral, or swirly, or other common quilt fabric patterns. There wasnt anything I would consider "perfect" but fabrics that were good enough.
My phone doesnt do an excellent job of capturing colors, but you do get the gist. All board fabrics have a "fuzzy/line" look ant the applique (Qbert/coily) are plain. I really didnt want black for the game screen around the board. It's really a deep gray. I just couldnt find anything in that store or online that was what I wanted so black is just going to have to do. I will use the quilting and bright yellow bezel border to make the screen stand out from the bezel.
No comments:
Post a Comment