Here's is where it stands:
The problems:
1. The sides went on with a baste, test, baste, test, finish method. Some of the corners look fantastic, some of the corners leave a lot to be desired. While I think overall the corners are not a deal breaker, they add to my decision to scrap it.| Left side: should have removed and put back seams, Right side: A pretty good looking corner. |
3. The SIZE! I believe I mentioned before that it had grown a bit bigger than I wanted it. I completed the math and stealing a few inches from the sides and top, it will finish up at around 55"x76" one inch over a full size quilt. Not what I was going for at all. I don't have nearly enough black fabric and the size will require lots of long cuts, which I really don't like to do.
The fixes:
The size fix is pretty easy. I'm going to do a few test sizes. I think I will start at 60% and work from there. I could go even lower, like say 25% and make a wall hanging rather than a blanket. I will probably make test prints of each and get an idea of what I will really have before I buy/cut any more fabric.To deal with the stretch/background I think I have two choices. The first is to do all of the black as well as the colors with the rhombus shape. I think that would give really nice seams/edges and they will stretch equally. The down side to this method is the rhombus shaped seams would be in the black background as well as the board blocks. Alternatively, I can make the rhombus game board and use a fusible web to "glue" it to a solid black piece of fabric essentially making it a giant applique. Downside here - it is a giant applique. I really think I would prefer the giant applique over the extended background. I really want to quilt in horizontal lines and don't want them to compete with the rhombus shape more than I don't want the giant applique.
I've got a bit of calculating and decision making to do... stay tuned for Q*bert 2.0!
No comments:
Post a Comment